Sunday, May 21, 2006

11 Things Todays KIDS Haven't Leanred But Need to KNOW!
Here's an excerpt from the book Dumbing Down our Kids by educator Charles Sykes. It is a list of eleven things you did not learn in school and directed at high school and college grads. To anyone with kids of any age, or to teachers, here’s some great common sense advice. The rules express how feel-good, politically correct teachings have created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this thinking has set them up for failure in the real world…Special thanks to THE COLONEL for passing this on to me!

Rule #1: Life is not fair…get used to it.

Rule #2: The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The REAL world will expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.

Rule #3: You will not make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won’t be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule #4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule #5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for flipping burgers…they called it opportunity.

Rule #6: If you mess up, it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t whine about your mistakes; learn from them.

Rule #7: Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listing to you talking about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule #8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they’ll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This does not bear the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.

Rule #9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get the summers off. Very few employers are interested in helping you to find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule #10: Television is not real life. In real life people have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule #11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you might very well end up working for one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alexi said...

1. Why can't it ever be unfair in my favor? (to quote Calvin and Hobbes)

2. Okay, this is the truth, but without self esteem taught in schools, kids don't believe they can accomplish something, so they never try.

3. True. You have to wait until after college. And then the first three years you live dirt poor getting out of college debt. The B.A. is the Diploma of our age.

4. My teachers gave me homework. My boss doesn't. I'll take the boss, that way I have SOME free time.

5. However, flipping burgers often ruins the complexion, which is a major risk to future employment. First impressions are the ones that count, and I was recently hired over several people probably more qualified than myself because I looked nicer for my interview. Some opportunities must be let pass so that better ones can arise.

6. This is absolutely true, but needs qualification. Sometimes parents can help kids out, and if they refuse, it is no mistake of the child's. Sometimes it is nobody's fault, sometimes you just get screwed. Usually, it is the kid's fault.

7. My parents were more boring before I was born, from what I hear. Ultra-conservative both, they have since had numerous years of trickle down public school liberalism through three children, which has lightened them up considerably.

8. My school declared me second or third place, and I had only one teacher who had no wrong answers. Our class made her cry on three occasions, during which she would flee the room to relative safety from criticism. You see, we all believed in wrong answers and losers. Sometimes kids are smarter and wiser than adults. Real life usually allows a little slacking, a little room for error on the first try, in that respect it is actually very similar to school.

9. True, most of the time. I am one of the lucky, self employed and independent contractor types, so I get to take whatever I want off, and I am an artist (theater), so I really do get paid to find myself, it just has to be a different self every time.

10. AMEN!! TV is dumb.

11. I am the nerd. Listen to the man: be nice to me.

Sorry to be so rough on you, but I am a horrible person, and like to destroy the ideas of others for the heck of it. And if you think about it, you didn't come up with it, so really, I am not criticizing your work, but Sykes'. There's my feel good, politically correct apology for tearing apart your blog.

May 21, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

ALEXI

You and your views are always welcome here. Please come back antime you desire!

May 22, 2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

i hard the same ones listed but by Bill Gates...

i find all of them to be true.

May 23, 2006 6:07 AM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

As a former teacher (?) Tooners I am sure you have seen this first hand. I know I have in the business world. Hired and fired more than a few. What is going to happen when this current crop of self loathing lazy slackers starts to BREED and produce their own DUMBED DOWN KIDS? Then we will have 3 generations of human flesh that can't wipe their own collective assess without some form of help. Grandparents, their children and the grand kids..... Somehow I feel my taxes are going to need to be raised to help pay for these charlatans... Lord help us all!

May 23, 2006 6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home