Monday, October 17, 2005

RIP Toody's in Wakefield Massachusetts. It was good to know ya.

It all started at about 11:30 am this morning. Monday, October 17th 2005. My stomach was starting to growl. Yep time to feed my tapeworm. So being the nice guy that I am I slid my shoes on and limped my way across the street and banged on the door of my neighbor and good friend Eric. I figured I would ask Eric if he wanted to put the ole FEEDBAG on with me and go to the newly reopened world famous TOODY'S in Wakefield Massachusetts.

Let me give you some background here. Toody's was an INSTITUTION in Italian deli eating on the North Shore. It first opened in 1945 and was family owned and operated and most famous for its RED SAUCE. I mean people would drive from as far as Southern New Hampshire to buy a pint of their sauce. It was that good. So earlier this past summer when the family announced that where selling out a tremor was felt for miles around. Was this the end? Assurances had been given that the new owners would not be changing the "recipe" and all would be fine. WHEW! So much for that....

Anyway back to the story. Eric agreed to the chance to grab some food and off we went like a male version of Thelma and Louise. The first thing we notice was the name was changed. The ole TOODY's sign was still on the building but the new name was DETTORRE'S "Italian Deli & Bella Cucina". Ok that's cool. Upscale name, new look, the place looked REVAMPED. Hey the original place wasn't dirty but shall we say... dated? We look for a menu board.. There is none. AHHH! There's a menu. We grab one. THANK GOODNESS. They still have my favorite Veal Parm and Eric's Meatball Subs on the menu! Now for those that know me there is only one thing I like better than a Veal Parm and that is 1 doz Beef Shawarmas and those just aren't available around these parts, so it doesn't take an advanced degree in Psychic Reading to know what we ordered. You got it... A Veal Parm and MeatBall sub. YEAH BABAY YEAH! I am feeling like a KING. Forget the fact the PATS lost yesterday, I am getting ready to CHOMP down on some good eating and all the better with a good friend too.

Ok so the orders are placed and I figured I would pay the tab. Eric is a good pal and he ponyed up for Patriots tickets TWICE and wouldn't take a DIME for my share so I pried the cash out of wallet (keeping the moths!) and paid. What seemed like a dragging 15 mins later we get the food and proceed to meander our way to our old favorite table. Guess not. We where abruptly told you can no longer sit "in the dining room unless you ordered from the dining room". What? This is a SUB shop not a North End eatery? Ok OK so we prop our butts up on the stools and small bar type platform that encircles the other side and proceed to open up the subs and do what we do best and EAT!

Even with the somewhat long wait for the food and the snooty "you can't sit here" remark we where both very excited about sinking our teeth into the food. Until.... We started to eat.
Good Lord what have they given me. My veal Parm tasted like it had FREEZER burn. The "sauce" was nothing more PASTENE No Salt Kitchen Ready Ground Peeled Tomatoes. No Garlic, Basil, Oregano or other "ingredients" Just plain sauce. Smothered so thick you couldn't pick up the sub with out the veal sliding out the other end. GROSS is an understatement. Eric's Meatball was no better. Neither of us finished the subs and both just looked at each other shell shocked as to what we just experienced.

I will never understand just how or why someone would buy an established sub shop (60 years old) and change the very essence of what made the place famous.And successfully. It is truly a big BRAIN FART. To spend that kind of money to destroy something is beyond words. Though I did notice something that might explain it all printed on the new menu. On the very bottom of the new menu are the words "STRAIGHT FROM THE NORTH END". Now for those of you out there who are not familiar with the North End of Boston well I have one world for you. ITALIAN. Italian from the day the Italians came to Boston and remains so to this day. How do these words explain the situation. Well they probably are "Straight from the North End" because there is no way in HELL any self respecting Italian from the North End is going to allow this shit to be served there. So the good people of the North End ran them out to the burbs.

So congrats to the nameless owners of DETTORRE'S. You are CerebralWaste's BRAINFART du JOUR.

26 Comments:

Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

DIB

I will never understand the idea of buying something established and successful and destroying it like has been done with Toody's. Yet we have all seen it happen before, be it a sub shop or a video store. Why do people feel this need to invariably flush 10's of thousands of $$$$$$ down the sewer is beyond me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The upside is I heard a rumor today that one of the Toody family members is considering "re-opening" or starting a new shop in Wakefield. Judging from the disaster going on at the old place I would say Toody's 2 would be a resounding success!

October 18, 2005 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Wakefield and now live in Colorado and all I can say is thank goodness I am not around to see what has happened to Toody's. This is very sad.

October 18, 2005 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be sad, Toody's is planning a comeback in Wakefield in the very near future!

January 01, 2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

Let me know the WHEN and WHERE and I will be there. Eric too. Heck I will do I live BLOG CAST of the event!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE keep us posted!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 01, 2006 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY to say... Toody's is GONE and will never be again! Thank GOD!!!

60 years of bad food does things to people... like makes them think it's good.

I do admit Toody's was a landmark,
but that was it, nothing more!

Why would such a "GREAT" place just close, after 60 years???

One must wonder!

February 09, 2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

So sorry you feel that way. You are the first person I have ever run across who didn't like Toody's. Care to explain why?

February 10, 2006 5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well im the second person you have come acros who does not like Toodys. I will say I loved the Baked macaroni, very good. The tuna fish was alright as well, but how hard is it to make tuna fish? I have to disagree with you on Toodys sauce versus Detorres sauce. You have it backwards my friend. Toodys sauce is as bland as boiled hamburger and Detorres sauce is full of various ingredients, all the ones you mentioned Toodys had to be exact. Because I promised someone I would never tell how the sauce or meatballs are made I can not divulge too much, but I will tell you this, out of the 3 ingredients Toodys used in the sauce 2 of them were salt and pepper! I was planning on writing more on this topic but it is late. I will be back! Sorry Terminator 2 is on the telly.

February 11, 2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

While I respect your opinion the simple fact was and is that when I tried Detorres it was horrible, and I was not the only one who felt that way. From the service to the food/sauce. Perhaps things have changed since, but as the old adage goes YOU NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION. And the first impression of Detorres was so bad it prompted me to write the original post.

Sadly the impression left was so bad even all these months later I still have no desire to give them a second chance. I and thousands of others await the return of Toody's to the Wakefield area.

February 12, 2006 6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First impressions are over rated. When any place first opens there are always kinks to work out. Maybe your 1 time there was not what you expected or wanted, but I have a feeling if you give it another go you just might like it. You said you got a sub right? Well take some time and go for dinner. Both the dinner and beer/wine menus are extensive and if you don't see what you want they do try their best to accomodate each and every customer. So far the overall reviews from those who have taken the time to come in are very favorable. How can they not be I say. You have a school and time tested chef and an up and coming cook who is surely the next great thing! The decor is warm and inviting, the owner is personable and good natured, and the food is great. 1st impressions aside, come on down and try again. You wont regret it. If you do, you still got your blog!

February 15, 2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

"First impressions are over rated."

Your sounding like a shill for the place. Kinks aside, there is a stark differance in "kinks" and BAD FOOD and questionable service. This place had BOTH. Bad enough that it got me off my lazy ass and wrote about it.

That being said I will check with my pal Eric and see if he wants to risk another run and give the place a second chance. If I do and the food and the service haven't improved you can bet I will continue this coverage on this blog and I will take it to a wider audience.

Meanwhile I await the return of the REAL Toody's to the Wakefield area.

February 17, 2006 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never seen someone so obsessed with a food place in my life. I bet your around 500 pounds, 45 years old and live in your momma's basement and just lived to eat toody's. YOU NEED A LIFE. Toody's is over and Dettorre's is 10 times better and their staff is made up with the hottest most amazing people in Wakefield.

May 06, 2006 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dettorre's is awesome and you dont know what you are talking about. When was the last time you could get a creamy seafood pasta or a cioppino at Toody's? Oh yeah thats what i thought...NEVER!!! I once had a "steak patty" sub from Toodys and was suprised to find i liked the bread betteer then the steak...i feel bad for you. Gus Dettorre is a genius, flat out. He turned around one of the most antiquated, dirty, rundown shitholes into a real North End style Eatery. And as for your comment about getting run out of the North End...he grew up and ran a business in te North End and all of those customers are new, loyal Dettorre's customers. So good, dont show ur fat ass back at Dettorre's cuZ people like you aren't wanted there. And Derek Dettorre, Tom Mcmanama, Jenny Mcmanama, Bill Smeglin, Andrew Navarro, Brianna Panarisi, Marc Fiore, and Gus Dettorre are all sexy as hell.

May 06, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

wakefieldcheerleader

If a place needs a gimmick like a High School QB to get people in the door than that says it all. Food and service should do the trick. When I went there it was neither. Is it a surprise a Cheerleader would support the QB? No and that is a good thing but look at your comments and let it soak in just how 17 they sound..

SusieQ22

Your the one sounding a tad obsessed. I haven't made a comment on this topic in months nor did I plan to do so. If Dettorre's has and I quote: "is made up with the hottest most amazing people in Wakefield." then Wakefield is in a boatload of trouble. Tom McManama for Mayor anyone? Your not even close on the age or weight either. Though I have you pegged at about 5.1 and 245? Close? Severe Acne too.

Anonymous

My comments are based on my experience at Dettorre's. It wasn't good. So bad in fact I felt compelled to write about it and still I have no desire to return. I do hope the company has pulled it together and corrected some of the issues I experienced.

May 07, 2006 3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks, this is all "Apples and Oranges". I drove over 200 miles today to attend a function in Wakefield (my hometown), and couldn't wait to take a couple dozen meatballs and cutlets home with me. My heart was broken; the food I grew up eating every friday night was gone. Dettorre's is a fine restaurant, I will not argue that point. Still, it is anything BUT Toody's. The Canto family must be devastated to see 60 years of work vanish. I think it's only right that Dettorre's take down the Toody's sign on the front of the building, as that amounts to "false advertising". Best of luck, Dettorre's. And for the remaining members of Toody's family, I for one would jump at the chance to invest in Toody's 2!

July 12, 2006 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toody's 2 is gone as well!

One Must Wonder Why!

July 12, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BREAKING NEWS!

I was told by a reliable source yesterday, that one of the original Toody's family members has purchased the "Daddy's Donuts" building which if you know Wakefield... It's only a stone's throw from the original Toody's. They hope to open in the near future. I don't if we can expect to see the "Toody's" name, as I believe that was sold with the former business/building.. But the name "Canto's" sounds pretty good to me. :-)

July 19, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

I saw the sign on the building today and I can't WAIT for TOODY's to reopen. No matter what name they call it it will be 10000 times better than the slop being served by the people who bought them out in the first place!

YEE HAW TOODY's is coming back to Wakefield!

July 19, 2006 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now You got my curiosity. WHAT did the sign say? Did it mention the name Toody's? Very INTERESTING... I second the YEE HAW!

July 20, 2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

The sign says TOODY's and mentions it will be open SOON!!

I am waiting with baited BREATH! (and one helluva a hunger!)

July 20, 2006 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally know Richie Canto and his Toody's location in Haverhill was AWESOME. As good as the original Toody's when "Toody" ran it and not Bobby Canto. I have all the confidence that the New Toody's will be better than ever! And, hey, they may actually have parking! I'm happy to see a Wakefield Icon return to where it belongs and should have never been destroyed due to "Family Greed" God Rest his Soul, old man Toody can stop rolling in his grave!

July 20, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

I can't comment of the inner workings or family squabbles of Toody's so I will take you at your word for it! What I can say is, it is wonderful news that TOODY'S is going to be back in play and the BONUS of having PARKING SPOTS is like the cherry on top of the hot fudge Sunday!

I will be at Toody's on opening day. Somehow I have a feeling 100's of others will be there as well celebrating the return of an area landmark!
Veal Parm anyone?????? mmmmmm Toody's Veal Parm.mmmmmmm

July 20, 2006 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, I left my cell phone at home today and when I came home there was a voice message on it. It was my mom, letting me know she drove by Daddy's Donuts and the sign said.. "Coming Soon, the Original Toody's" She said, I had to let you know... I thought that would make you happy. HAPPY? I'm more than HAPPY! :-)

July 21, 2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

I purposely drove by the site today just to read the sign again!

If anyone out there in blog land know how to contact someone from Toody's I would love to interview the owner(s) on bringing back a true legend in eating.

Also anyone know when the Grand Opening will be? I want to be there!

July 21, 2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

I have a new POST about TOODY's HERE:

http://cerebralwaste.blogspot.com/2006/07/toodys-is-coming-back-to-wakefield.html

July 21, 2006 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have it on good authority Toody's is opening Sunday (27 Aug). I will be there. I, too, like other bloggers, was devestated to find Toody's closed. then even more crushed when the new restaurant opened in it's place. The Canto's are wonderful and Toody's food has been great! I have loved it since I was a child. I will miss that "retro" dining room, but the food was the reason I love Toody's. Shells and Cutlet, here I come!!!!
BTW, I was googling for Toody's and came across this blog, it's blatantly being used by somebody (anonymous) to promote the mediocre restaurant that took the space Toody's occupied.

August 23, 2006 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work next door to the Newest Toody's, the one that took over the Daddy's Donuts location.....I believe yesterday was the Grand Opening....well It sure looked like it.

I am leaving in 15 minutes to try this infamous place. I will post my review later this evening!

October 25, 2006 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home