Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I watch a lot of TV

I watch a lot of TV. Perhaps too much I admit. My TV gets turned on many times before 6 am and doesn't shut off till after midnight. I love TV. Now please understand I work at home and this viewing habit is mainly a late fall/winter thing. Spring and summer I am much too busy tending to the growing things in the greenhouse and on the property to lounge around that much. I will though sneak in something here and there but for the most part I am pretty busy. Being self employed can have its advantages.

Now somewhat recently (ok in the past 2 years or so!) I have gotten into the habit of watching re-runs of Little House on the Prairie and The Walton's from 8:00 am to 1:00 PM with sometimes a bit of Bonanza and Gunsmoke tossed in for good measure. God bless cable TV! All this has made me think. No not about frying more brain cells watching mindless dribble but how the mindless dribble from the late 60's through the mid 80's was a bit more than the mindless dribble being pumped out today with the likes of Desperate Housewives and South Park. The latter I will admit I do enjoy at times. How can you not like South Park??

In watching the above shows you can't help but noticed just how much TV has changed in the past 30 years. Story lines and plots and sub plots have shifted to more violence and sex instead of the show having a meaning and perhaps a moral tale to be told and learned. The thin line between right and wrong has been forever blurred. Where else do we or can we CHEER for a murdering mobster not to be caught by the FBI? In what other medium can we celebrate "hi- infidelity" among married couples or hope a somewhat crooked cop makes the bust or cheer while a US agent plays hard and fast with the rules? Or laugh about a group of foul mouthed 4th graders who stage a rebellion against a gay teacher only to have their parents ignore it? Only on TV can this happed.

Don't misunderstand me. I love some of the new cutting edge shows on TV. The Soprano's, 24, and the Shield to name a few but I have to wonder will these shows be regarded as "classics" in 20 years? 30? More? Less? If so how? Or am I just becoming an OLD FART and waxing nostalgic for the past days of yonder? Hell if I know. But I know what I like! I like a wide range of shows but I must admit I have a soft spot for those shows of years past like The Walton's and Little House.

There is something warm and fuzzy about them that brings out the liberal in me.

Now where did I put that new Rambo DVD boxed set I got for Christmas?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like TV but I don't get my money's worth except during baseball season. You have to be careful--it is definitely the "plug-in drug".

December 28, 2005 1:07 PM  
Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

I do that too.. what's wrong with sitting at home and watching TV all day and all night long.

It is better than doing other things like breaking the law.

Besides, we pay our own electricity bills!

December 31, 2005 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home