Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Volunteering by CerebralWaste

In a recent study concerning volunteering, the study concluded with the following excuses as to why people don't volunteer. The excuses most often brought up are: "I cannot afford it" ,"I have no time", "I have no energy" and "I need that time for my personal use". Any of these excuses sound familiar to you? Come on be honest!

Almost everyone can volunteer and it is easer than you think. Volunteering is simply taking what you enjoy and using it in a manner to help other people. It could be a simple as while walking you pick up trash that has collected along the path you take or as complex as volunteering at a local hospital, animal shelter or group home. Volunteering is particularly helpful to men, urbanites, those with low income, people in poor health and retirees who don't work. It help provide people a sense of purpose and sense of well being. Still many don't or won't volunteer and use the excuses above as the reasons.

As an example I volunteer one morning a week at the local food bank in my hometown. It is a very rewarding experience helping those that need help. Like many I didn't think I had the time or energy at first, but now several months into my volunteering I find myself looking forward to the time being spent at the Food Bank. The Food Bank where I work serves almost 100 needy people a week. The 3 or so hours I spend there are very rewarding and as a result I am truly a better person for it as well.

This is backed up by a study from Cornell University, the study concluded that "Volunteering" will boost you self-esteem and energy and will give you a sense of mastery over your personal lives. Volunteering helps society in general because society gains when people help other people.

Still sadly most people don't seek out to do volunteer work. Volunteering should become more of a public issue and institutional support from government and business needs to be in place. Many businesses in the US give their employees time off to do volunteer work. These businesses have recognized that when people volunteer a sense of greater societal value and recognition are gained and it makes them better employees .Volunteering makes you feel good in helping those that need help.

Volunteering can also improve your resume/CV, by help you learn new skills by giving you "hands on" experience in a new capacity. Volunteering can and will boost your confidence and in general make you feel better about yourself. It can even give a foot in the door with a new employer. Positive results from a positive action.

If you are passionate about helping people and want to make a difference think of the single word volunteering. Look for ways in your community to make a difference and do it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Um Naief said...

this is so important and more ppl should do it. i used to volunteer a lot and felt rewarded most times. there were a few times that it saddened my heart beyond repair... but overall, i was glad that i made a difference.

once, i organized a huge christmas event at the workplace. we took on a needy, low income apt. complex in the bad area of dallas. they had a children's program so we bought toys for all the kids in that program. my boss even volunteered to be santa, the kids loved it. we threw a huge party for them w/ cake, pizza, games, music... i'll never forget it, and never forget the looks on their faces that day. i hope we made a difference.

August 02, 2006 1:24 AM  
Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

CW and Tooners,
Every little helps!!! Even small gestures of kindness and goodwill go a long way in making a difference in people's lives - in theory at least!

August 03, 2006 7:41 AM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

SBG, Tooners

Every little bit helps is so true. Not just in theory.

I am puzzled and troubled that there seems to be little of the traditional volunteering in Baharain in Hospitals and healt care in general. Area where help is often needed and appreciated.

August 03, 2006 7:47 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

I've been asked to volunteer w/ the BSPCA and there's another org. that asked about volunteering but it's an outreach thing for abused women, and since my field is psychology and counseling... and since I stepped away from it because you take so much home w/ you, I decided not to do that. But... volunteering at the BSPCA is something I'm considering. Altho, not sure if I can handle all the bad things that I've heard about what happens there. This has been my reservation thus far.

August 05, 2006 2:27 AM  
Blogger Shoufy said...

Cerebral waste- you are using your brain - not wasting it. Shoufy

August 05, 2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger Shoufy said...

Cerebral waste- you are using your brain - not wasting it. Shoufy

August 05, 2006 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home