Monday, January 16, 2006

Mmmmmmm R O O T B E ER Mmmmmmmm

I confess I love BEER.. Root Beer that is. I like a good beer now and then as well but I am, for lack of better worlds a ROOT BEER aficionado. From enjoying the delicate bouquet of an A&W Root Beer to the finer subtleties like having my own chilled mug while soaking up the warm BTU's of my woodstove. Few things in life are better than a good mug of Root Beer. To me at least.

I have become a very good self styled expert as well. Example: While my personal taste says A&W is the BEST Root Beer on the market hands down I have found some surprisingly good brands out there as well, that for as little as 99 cents for a THREE (3) Liter bottle will rival A&W on taste when compared on a "$$$ vs Taste" measurement test. Did I mention as well I am also CHEAP?

Some BASIC ROOT BEER RULES:

One should never EVER and I repeat EVER use ICE in a MUG of Root Beer. It is simply bad protocol and has the equivalent effect on taste like trying to serve a Budweiser as the same temperature of a Heineken or vice versa. It is bad form and bad taste.

Root Beer should always be served in a CHILLED glass. Preferably a MUG with glass at least 1/4 of an inch thick.

The Root Beer itself needs to COLD. Near ICE cold. 34 to 36 degrees is best. I have found true natural chilling outside to be the best method during the winter. Of course depending on your location and time of year this isn't always possible

Always have several MUGS on HAND and ready to go. For yourself and any "guests" that might stop by. A true Root Beer lover wants to share the experience.

Don't be afraid to experiment by trying different brands. There is a wide range of taste with various brands and there is one out there for you.

If you have a family member who believes ROOT BEER is BOOZE do not try to change their minds. It is futile to do so. This mentality can be changed but the cost is a high one to pay. It is simply not worth the effort. Leave them to their twisted beliefs and go on and enjoy a nice ice cold mug and be thankful they aren't popping over to drink your supply!

Always enjoy and finish your mug. This is the most important rule. The world can wait till you are done! ENJOY!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's another way to serve your root beer that is also excellent. Put thick, empty glass beer MUGs - not beer glasses -- into the freezer. Leave one there all the time; that's what I do. Then, put the chilled root beer into the frozen mug the instant you remove it from the freezer. Fill it up slowly so that the foam slowly disappears as the mug is topped up. If you've done it right, the root beer will be level with the rim. There will be a small sip left in the 12 ounce can or bottle. While you rinse the can and put it into the recycle bin, the top of your root beer will turn into a taste-thrilling slush. It's divine.

January 17, 2006 12:41 AM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

Thanks for stopping by! I will inbibe in you suggestion today when I have my 10:00 am mug! The root beer "foam" is the only complaint I have and only because it slows down the initial sip!

January 17, 2006 2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best (IMHO) is Dad's which we can't get in MA...nor can we get Vernors, the best soft drink in America.

January 17, 2006 11:39 AM  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

No "Dad's" at the PX?

January 17, 2006 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home